Sunday, November 13, 2011

Unreal Expectations

They are not just for girls anymore...

Hello, manorexia

I bought my child a GI Joe Real American Hero for her birthday.  I was a bit shocked when I saw he came equipped with a twenty-four pack.  Who looks like that?!  Oh and by the way, they aren't the greatest quality dolls.  His legs came off about one day after she opened the box. 

I think about the struggles that I had when I was growing up.  Shoot, who am I kidding?  The challenges that I face now with the way I look and the way that I think I should look.  It's pretty heart breaking that our society is only becoming increasingly more focused on a person's physical appearance.  I can't even begin to imagine the emphasis put on physical appearances when Julia gets into her teenage years.  With altered images like these, how can anyone have a healthy image of their body?

How do you teach positive body image to your child?

What body image atrocities have you witnessed?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love, love, love comments :) Let me know what you think!