Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Overnight Oats

Good evening all!  It was my first time trying a recipe that I have seen on numerous websites and I think overnight oats are a win!  The idea behind it is to soak the oats in a liquid of your choosing overnight and breakfast is served when you get up in the morning. 


I decided to be adventurous and experimental right off the bat.  I decided to create a German chocolate version of overnight oats and they turned out really yummy.

German Chocolate Overnight Oats

1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup skim milk
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp unsweetened, shredded coconut
1 tbsp pecan pieces
1 tbsp ground flax seed
2 packets splenda

I heated the milk and mixed the cocoa powder until it was fully dissolved.  Put all the ingredients together in a dish, cover and put in the fridge overnight.  Next morning, enjoy!


I doubled up on the liquid because I like my oatmeal a little soupy.  If you want something creamier or less soupy, I would recommend cutting the liquid in half so you have equal parts oats and liquid.  You can also use any kind of milk to change the texture as well (i.e. almond, soy, rice, etc). 


It was such a satisfying breakfast and it kept me full for a long time.  They were absolutely the perfect grab-and-go breakfast after my 4am workout :) 

~Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love, love, love comments :) Let me know what you think!