Saturday, June 11, 2011

Do as I say, not as I do?

I'm a single mother of a four year old daughter and it already seems that her life is beginning to mirror my own.  I was always heavy as a child and I can recall the pediatrician always encouraging me to be more active in an effort to get my weight under control.  Now I get annual lectures from my daughter's pediatrician.



I find myself talking to my four year old about what is healthy and what is not, while I have secret stashes of sweets to eat when she is not in sight.  It's a complete contradiction and I often feel like a hypocrite. 

I want to be a better example for my daughter, what parent doesn't?  I want to be able to guide her through her life not only by the words I share with her but also through the way she sees me living my own life and taking care of my own body.

It's my goal to feed my body with nutrient dense foods and engage in exercise three times a week.  I also want to increase the amount of family exercise time with my daughter.  Whether it's taking our dog Leo for a walk or playing freeze tag.  I want her to see the different ways to enjoy physical activity throughout her life.




I'm hoping this blog "Not Just Saying" will be a way to share my journey with others about the positive changes that I am making in my life as well as the set backs that I will experience.  I'm hopeful that the progress will be reflected in my life as well as my family's life.

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love, love, love comments :) Let me know what you think!