Sunday, July 17, 2011

Orange Julias

Hello!  I hope everyone had a great weekend!  Mine was very satisfying :)  On Saturday, I jumped into being a runner again and it felt wonderful!  So it was kind of funny how I came to decide to jump into the running game again.  I had been driving on "E" for a couple days and I didn't want to fill it up anywhere but Costco.  So I had Alex drive me over to his house and ran back to my house.

I have to admit that Dale Blvd is a little more hilly than I thought it was.  The total distance between our houses is 4.24 miles according to mapquest.  I haven't been running outside for a very long time (February?) so I thought it was great that I did it at all :)  I'm really thinking that I want to find some fun runs to sign up for and work on my speed a little bit.  After what happened last year with my shin, I think I will be staying away from long distances and focus on increasing my speed instead. 

And you know what?  After running from Alex's house two days in a row, I ended up filling my car up at Sheetz.  Haha.

For lunch today, we had a thin crust margherita pizza with salad.  I've decided that I really love thin crust pizza.  It definitely has less calories than other types of crust.  It's also a vegetarian meal that Alex seems to enjoy as well.  After lunch, we made a special treat.....Orange Julias!



Orange Julias

1 can frozen orange juice
1 cup nonfat milk
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
10-12 ice cubes

Combine all the ingredients in blender, blend until smooth, and ENJOY!

It's a recipe that I got from my mom.   Not sure where she got it from but it's an at home version of the Orange Julius shakes.  My sister and I used to make them all the time when we were younger.  It's not a very healthy treat but after running 8.5 miles over the past two days, I felt like I deserved a treat :)

On a different note, Julia made me a very proud momma today.  She devoured a ton of peas!  Now I'm not very pleased about they way she chose to eat them but the important part is that she ate them.


That's right folks, she was putting them on the table and then sucking them up like she was a vaccuum cleaner.  Haha!  She definintely had fun eating her veggies that way.  It's all fun and games until someone chokes on a pea :-/

How do you get your kids to eat their veggies?

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the run! I'm trying to become a "runner" again also. I just wish it stayed warm all year because I HATE running in the cold weather.

    I have to admit, I'm not sure how I'd feel about mixing orange juice and milk. I'll have to take your word for it that it's delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I guess orange juice and milk sounds a little funky but it's almost reminiscent of a creamsicle :) I'm sooo glad to be running again, it feels really good.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love comments :) Let me know what you think!