Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mmmm...food....

Hello, dear readers :)  Here I am again and I still have concerns about the progress that I am making in my health goals.  I have really been trying to keep the focus on my physical abilities and how my clothes fit but alas, I still love my scale and want to see smaller numbers each time I step onto it. 

I'm sure it's not a surprise to anyone if I admit that I am an emotional eater.  I love that we even have a term for this!  So anyway, the scale was not moving and I was not seeing any difference in the way I looked or how my clothes fit.  Frustrating.  What do I do when I am stressed and frustrated???  Eat! 

I will give myself credit.  My goal each day has been 1200-1550 calories and over the past week I have consistently had between 1700 and 1950 calories.  I was considerably reserved in my stress-eating compared to previous damage I have done, haha.  And you know what?  I lost a pound :)  So this got me to thinking about the changes I made.  Unfortunately, this is no where near a scientific study and there is no way that I can conclude that eating more calories caused me to lose weight.  It did however cause me to wonder how spark people came up with my caloric goal and whether or not they could be wrong.

So I tried to do some research about the number of calories I should be eating per day.  Almost every site I found talked about BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate.  Esentially, this is how many calories your body would use if you did nothing all day.  My BMR is 1646. 

Next, you multiply your BMR by an "activity factor" which I chose moderately active (1646 * 1.55 = 2551.3 calories).  Now according to this website , you should cut your calories but at least 500 but no more than 1000 calories per day from your BMR for weightloss.  That would put me between 1551 to 2051 calories.  I have gone to several different sites and put in my information;  here are some of my results:  1520 calories, 2023 calories, and 2057 calories.  If you recall, I have been eating only 1200 to 1550 calories :(

So anyway, I'm thinking that maybe I need to bump up the food intake a little bit in order to feed my body appropriately so it doesn't freak out about eating away at the fat reserves.  Maybe I should just try the BOD POD and get the final say so that way??

How do you figure out your caloric needs?

~Andrea

1 comment:

  1. I've used a bunch of different formulas in the past. One that I like is from the "Ultimate Lean Routine" and that also lets you figure out how much protein, vs fat, vs carbs you should take in. I can lend you my copy when I get back from Poland :) But what I like about that formula (or formulas) is it takes into account your body fat percentage. Because clearly a 250lb athlete needs more and should be consuming more calories than a 250lb couch potato. But most of the calculators you find online, only look at height, weight and age. Lean body weight burns more calories than fat, so a person with more muscle in general needs more calories. I found that book to be really helpful, if just for the calories. But just off the bat, (not being a nutritionist or anything) 1200-1500 is not a lot of calories. I would say if you were eating that much and not working out and trying to lose weight, maybe. But with working out, I don't think it's quite enough. I would think you're much closer to some of the other numbers you listed 1600-2000 each day.
    I would definitely recommend taking a look at some of the other formulas and maybe even talking to a nutritionist--just once or twice to help you figure out a good plan of action. I actually know of two great health coaches if you're interested!
    Don't be discouraged, you're doing great and you have to keep it up. It's a learning process for everyone, even once you think you have it figured out--there's more to learn it feels! :)
    (I'll stop rambling now)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love comments :) Let me know what you think!