Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Frosted Fig

Good Evening All!  This past weekend, as many of you know, I began running again.  After a run in the heat, I have little to no desire to eat anything.  My breakfast all weekend was smoothies :)  Now, some of you may remember that when I decide to try a new food, I often buy it in bulk from Costco.  This is true of figs.

A coworker convinced me that figs were delicious and that I should try them.  The next day I came home from Costco with twenty-four fresh figs.  I had no idea how to eat figs so naturally I googled it.  Turns out you just bite in :)  My google search also informed me that fresh figs start to rot very quickly.  I had approximately 3 days to eat twenty-four figs.  EEK!

As you know from my Personal Chef :) post, Alex was wonderful and made some delicious chicken that used some of the figs but there were still many remaining.  Alex is not one to support the waste of food or money, so he looked up online and found that fresh figs freeze very well.  So into the freezer they went!


After my ridiculous runs in code red heat, I had little to no desire to cook or eat anything.   Smoothies were the very natural choice to get some protein and cool off.  This was the perfect opportunity to use my frozen figs! 

I put one scoop of protein powder, 1/2 cup blueberries, 2 frozen figs, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1 cup Greek yogurt and 1 packet of splenda.  It was delicious!  I have no doubt that I will be able to use all of these figs :)

What do you put in your smoothies?

~Andrea

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you have me inspired to eat some figs! That smoothie sounds really good! I have been putting spinach in mine. As long as you have some fruit in there, you won't taste the spinach :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of strawberries, blueberries and mango (all frozen) with just some water and some vanilla protein powder. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kelly - I have heard about green monsters with spinach but haven't tried it yet....maybe this weekend??
    @Jess - I definitely need to stock up on the frozen fruit and experiment with some different combos :)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love comments :) Let me know what you think!