Monday, December 26, 2011

Make New Friends but Keep the Old...

A very fun thing happened over my Christmas vacation....


I didn't just go to Starbucks but I went and got Starbucks with Emily!  I'm pretty sure that I have known Emily forever....well at least, known of her.  We initially met in the good ol' days of elementary school and continued our educational journey through the same middle school and high school too.  In college, we went our separate ways and I'm pretty sure that neither one of us gave the other much thought for the next ten years (oh my...we are old).

Through social networking (ahem, Facebook) and the demise of the importance of face-to-face interactions, Emily and I have become reacquainted again :)  Even though she doesn't live in our hometown anymore, she came to visit her family for Christmas and suggested we meet up for a run.  I was completely excited for the chance to catch up and run with her.  Even though I run with the running club, I always seem to end up running by myself.  I figured if it's just me and her and she's as nice as I remembered her being, then she would feel obligated to stick with me ;)

On Saturday, we met up and completed nine miles together.  I'm not sure how the whole PDR (personal distance record) goes but this is the furthest I have gone outside of an organized race.   We ran up Rt 123 and thank goodness Emily was there because I'm pretty sure she saved me from speeding cyclists on more than one occasion.  I have to be the most oblivious runner ever.  To congratulate ourselves on a run well done and me not getting killed by a cyclist, we went to Starbucks.

On Christmas we rested and on Monday we met up again for four miles.  I enjoyed this run so much more than the nine we did on Saturday. Not only was it less than half the distance but we were running on my turf so I knew exactly where we were going and where the turn around point would be.  Knowing the route makes such a difference in my motivation!  All in all it was a couple of great runs with good company :)

Have you reconnected with anyone through Facebook?

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I'm glad you had a chance to run with Emily. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a lot of fun! The starbucks was a perfect ending to the 9 miles too. :) BTW - I'm running the St. Patty's Day 8k up in DC. My sister is coming up from TN to run it with me and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love comments :) Let me know what you think!